Sunday 10 May 2015

Hobbys, Gadwalls, Christian Bikers and my first juvenile birds of the year, all at Cranford Park today

Today I was back at the patch I love so much, Cranford Park. It was a popular place to be today. The Secret Garden was open, as was St Dunstans church, and the courtyard was full of classic and modern motorbikes thanks to the Christian Motorcycle Association (more about them later).
 
But the high light of my days visit was seeing not one, but TWO Hobbys soaring over the park. I'm not going to jinx things by saying these are OUR two Hobbys returning from Africa to raise a new Hobby family, as I never once saw them settle in any trees, but to watch two in the sky for over an hour bodes well with me. My photos are not good as both birds were often at a great height and when they did soar down low it was generally when the sun was in my eyes. But nether the less seeing two of these wonderful birds was enough to keep me smiling for the rest of the day......
 


 
My one and only pathetic shot of proving there were two Hobbys over the park......!
As mentioned above, the Secret Garden was open today. I was a bit naughty though and instead of sticking around to do some volunteer gardening, I snuck off to my favourite wood circle (more about that later too). I popped back a couple of times during my days outing and grabbed some photos of some interesting things.....
 
Wild garlic - self seeding itself around the Secret Garden

new Greengage tree - photo taken for Lorraine Barton as it was a gift to the garden

a newly victorious John McDonnell MP popped in to see Bob Barton....
Green-veined White butterflies were attracted to the wild flower patch...

Marsh Marigold on the pond edge..

the beautifully photogenic Ginny Barton...

 And great excitement for me, a pair of Common Newts in the pond. Not the best of photos, but Bob mentioned he'd seen a nice large fat newt this morning and when I popped back for my last visit of the day to the Secret Garden there were two Common Newts just visible in the water.

Harlequin Ladybird
______________________________________________________________________
 
As any regular blog readers know, one of my favourite spots at Cranford Park is the 'wood circle'. It was actually made to be an outdoor classroom, but it's ideal for a comfortable place to sit and not only listen to the bird song around you, but to watch butterflies and other lovely critters at this time of year......
 
My favourite seat is the log dead centre of this photo. There is a larger cut log in front of it which I call my 'office', and where I lay out my binoculars, camera, fags, phone, water and food.
At the moment most of the area to the right of the wood circle is covered in Red Campion and nettles....
 
 
It's a magnet for all things insecty......
 
Today I saw at least two varieties of Bumble Bee (photos below - but don't ask me for id's yet - I'm still working on that....)..
 
 

 
A Bee-fly (below) was attracted to the lovely pink flowers too.....

 
as was a beautiful female Brimstone butterfly....
 
 
On the nearby nettles and other foliage, there was a sun basking Peacock....

 
A female Holly Blue....

 
a male Green-veined White.....

 
a male Orange-tip....
 
 
a Red-headed Cardinal Beetle....

 
and a stunning Dandelion seed head. No, I've not lost the plot. Dandelion seed heads are really stunning when you look at them close up.....
 
 
So by sitting on my favourite log seat I took photos of two Bee species, one beetle, several flowers and seed heads, my favourite Bee-fly and five butterfly species. Now do you know why that particular area is my favourite ? You don't even have to move around to see Natures wonders.
 
____________________________________________________________
 
When I did finally drag myself away from the wood circle, I checked on a tree hollow that I suspect Stock Doves are nesting in.....
 
 
and one was perched on a branch just by it.
These under-rated birds are very shy of us human beans, so I had to take this photo from a distance and hiding amongst the foliage.
 
From there I walked up one of my favourite paths.....

 
The ha-ha wall is on the bottom left, the little wooden bridge is straight ahead and the shrubs on the right are alive with singing Blackcaps, Robins, Blue Tits, Great Tits, Wrens and Blackbirds.
 
Along this path I also saw Speckled Wood, Peacock, Comma and another female Brimstone butterfly....
 
 
_________________________________________________________
 
Another favourite path way is the one that runs alongside the River Crane. On my visit last week the area was thick with newly emerged St Marks flies. Today the majority of them were mating amongst the Cow Parsley......


 
By the stone bridge I heard the familiar Long-tailed Tit calling and turned just in time to see a very harassed and scruffy looking adult....
 
 
and two of at least seven newly fledged juveniles.....
 

 
The other five were near on impossible to photograph amongst the new foliage, but it's nice to see my first juvenile little birds of the year.
 
I'm used to seeing a few Mallards on the river, and on first glance the ducks (in my photos below) were also Mallards. But then I noted their smaller appearance, their daintier bills, and the unusual plumage. Gadwalls. A patch tick for me. I have never seen Gadwalls on the River Crane before. And not just one, but two.....
 
young female Gadwall

young male Gadwall
I hope they stick around. When the male comes in to full adulthood the feather plumage is really beautiful and intricate.
 
Also seen and heard but not photographed along the river was one of the Kingfishers, several singing Blackcaps, Whitethroats and Wrens.
 
______________________________________________________
 
By the burnt out Information Centre (when is this going to be rebuilt ?!??!?)  I found an out-of-season fungi....
 
 
_______________________________________________________________
 
And to end todays blog are some photos of the great bikes bought in by the Christian Motorcyclists Association........
 






 
Yes, today was indeed a 'triumph'. It looks as if the Hobbys are back (fingers, toes and talons crossed) and a new patch tick for me were the pair of shy Gadwalls. The Kingfishers were very active which didn't bode well for photography, but may just mean they hopefully have a new hungry family to feed. The Skylarks were often heard and seen 'parachuting' back down after singing their little hearts out in the sky. In the woods itself Goldcrests were very vocal, as were the Wrens, Green Woodpeckers, Robins, Coal Tits and Great Spotted Woodpeckers.
 
There is something special about Cranford Woods at this time of year.
 
And as a lasting thought to anyone who is reading todays blog and wondering if I'm a Christian who supports the Labour government.......................I am me.
 My political and religious beliefs are not posted on my blogs. My blog posts are about nature and that is all. But if certain groups or MPs visit the park whilst I happen to be there, I will give them the courtesy of a mention. What I believe in or not, is a subject I choose not to share on my blog posts.
 
Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos...

1 comment:

  1. Great Wendy thank you for your report(s). They are great reading thanks again Daniel

    ReplyDelete