Saturday 18 July 2015

Another visit to RSPB Rainham

With hindsight I maybe shouldn't have gone out today. I was heavy with hay fever, which I've not suffered with for a few years. Plus although the new splint for my damaged thumb is fairly comfortable, it can dig in to my hand when I'm holding my camera. I was going to bring my new tripod, but with a rucksack already laden down with two camera bodies, two lenses, binoculars, bottled water and sandwiches, I didn't fancy carrying around the tripod too.
 
Three friends were also going today, Fewy, Scally and Marla, but they wanted to drive to the site via London and I couldn't bear the thought of sitting in traffic in this heat, so opted for the comfortable air conditioned trains. 90 minutes door to door was not bad at all. I knew they'd want to watch the Beardies and Kingfisher all day too, so I opted to do the circuit alone.
 
There was plenty to see. Lots of Ruddy Darters.....
 

 
Black-tailed Skimmers.....

 
I also saw my first Southern Hawker of the year in the Cordite, but it wouldn't settle for a photograph.
Plus I think I saw Emperors along some of the channels, but as they wouldn't settle either, I couldn't be sure.
 
Other critters seen today were a Harlequin Ladybird (I think...)....
 
 
and plenty of these Common Soldier Beetles having the time of their lives......



a female Thick-legged Flower Beetle nearly found herself in the middle of a Soldier orgy....
 

 
There were also quite a few Ladybird pupae around. This one is just emerging.....
 
 
Of course, there were plenty of Cinnabar moth caterpillars around the site.....
 

 
Butterfly wise, it was a good day for them, if not a bit windy. There was an abundance of Peacocks., many fresh ones.......
 

 
and the occasional tatty one still knocking around from the first flush....

 
and hundreds of Gatekeepers....
 

 
Lots of Small Skippers, but I couldn't find an Essex Skipper...
 
 
A Six-spot Burnet was sharing the buddleia with the rest of the butterflies.....

 
and I saw my first Ringlet of the year. Actually I saw three. Two in the Cordite and one from the walk way looking down to the bird feeders. And not one photo could I get !
 
Bird-wise, the male Kingfisher was seen frequently from the MDZ....
 

 
a young Reed Warbler was also seen from the same 'hide', sunbathing on one of the dragonfly sculptures....

 
A male Reed Bunting gave me lovely close up views singing away along the boardwalk.....

 
I also saw a Marsh Harrier and Kestrel, but couldn't get photos of either.
Of course the Bearded Tits were very active, but the only shots I got were distant where they were feeding on the waters edge.
 
So not a bad day at all. I had to take the photo below as it looked how I felt, except the bee was laden down with pollen and I was laden down with a heavy rucksack.....


2 comments: