Sunday 27 September 2015

Hovering around Mums' garden

Popped over to Mum's today, and whilst she cooked us a delicious new recipe Green Chili, I spent some time in her back garden with my macro lens.
 
The hoverfly season might be coming to an end, but the warm sunshine was enough to entice out not one, but four separate species this afternoon.
 
First one was a Syrphus species but as I only got one photo I cant be certain if it is S.torvus or S.vitripennis......
 
Syrphus
 Next up was one solitary Eristalis pertinax....
 
E.pertinax

E.pertinax

E.pertinax
Third of my finds was a Eupeodes luniger......
 
Eupeodes luniger
And lastly were several female Melanostoma scalore. Females have the much broader abdomen and markings than the males....
 
Melanostoma scalare

M.scalare

M.scalare
M.scalare

M.scalare
M.scalare
As to be expected there were quite a few Crane Flies around....
 
 
and one of many Garden Spiders had caught a Seven-spot Ladybird......

 
After lunch we had a short wander around Denham Quarry. I was hoping to find a Fly Agaric around the Birch trees, but sadly we couldn't find any. It may be a little early for them though I have been seeing quite a few photos on some facebook forums.
 
At one of the many entrances, we found a huge ivy covered in flowers. It was as busy as a motorway service station, but no Ivy Bees, just lots of Honeybees....



 
May-bee I'll have better luck next weekend..........!

No comments:

Post a Comment