Saturday 24 October 2015

A rainy visit to Maple Lodge NR

At work this week we've been quite short staffed and I've been getting more and more tired and stressed as the week went on. This morning when my alarm went off, a part of me just wanted to turn it off and go back to sleep but I knew today was my last chance to visit Maple Lodge NR for several weeks.
So I dragged myself from my pit, got ready and made the two bus commute to Maple Lodge.
 
The weather was dull and overcast and it rained a few times whilst I was there, but while I sheltered in the hides the birds didn't mind the rain at all.
For some reason, whether it be the bad light today or my tiredness, my photos aren't terribly clear, so apologies in advance.
 
There was very showy Common Snipe in front of the Teal Hide......
 




 
A pair of Green Sandpipers appeared from behind one of the new shingle islands that has emerged from the lower water level....
 
 
From almost every hide I visited today, I saw a Kingfisher. Again my photos aren't great unfortunately but it was nice to have such great views.....






 
The usual suspects were also around....
 
Little Grebe in its winter coat....
 
 
and a teenage Great Crested Grebe......

 
They were quite a few Teals around today.....

 
and this is a comparison size shot of them next to Mallards.....

 
So even though the weather was dreary and I was tired, it was still a good few hours at Maple Lodge NR with the high-light for me being the Common Snipe.
 
I'm already looking forward to my next visit which will be in the mid winter.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Wendy, looking forward to getting back down there myself!

    ReplyDelete