Tuesday 24 May 2016

Visit to Rhyl part one of four

I'm on a mini break to see my cousins in Rhyl. On Sunday, after a lovely family BBQ on the Saturday night, I went for a walk to clear the cobwebs. From Splash Point walking down the prom to the end of the golf course near Prestatyn I saw very little in the way of birds. The tide was right in and there were just a few gulls on the thermals plus the odd tantalising glimpse of a Northern Wheatear on the parallel running golf course.
 
I took a break at the three benches before you enter the sand dunes on the edge of the golf course, and was looking around when a butterfly landed in front of me. My first Wall Brown of the year, and only my second ever sighting of one (my first being last August in Sussex)....
This is a male.....
 

 
I saw two in total, along with a few Green-veined Whites that refused to settle.
 
Elsewhere on the edge of the golf course I found my first male Thick-legged Flower Beetle of the year, along with some minute shiny black beetles that I've not yet identified....


 
Also in the scrub were my first ever sightings of the teeny tiny Nettle Weevil....


 
The edges of the golf course are alive with singing House Sparrows. Down south where I live, these only occur in some small pockets but there is a huge population just on the Rhyl/Prestatyn sand dunes and the scrub behind them.....

 
Back at my cousins garden I was poking around their ivy and wisteria looking for hoverflies when I found this wonderful little mass instead. A huge colony of tiny Garden Crown spiderlings......

 
A nice end to my first full day in Rhyl

No comments:

Post a Comment