Saturday 2 July 2016

A short visit to Cranford Park

Due to other commitments I could only fit in a short two hour visit to Cranford CP today, and it was with dismay that I found someone had left this lot by the haha wall.......
 
 
Fly tipping in a country park is just not on. There were fresh tyre tracks on the grass leading from the car park, and the mess wasn't there yesterday, so this lot was probably dumped during the night.
Anyway the council has been e-mailed and hopefully the mess will get cleared up soon.
 
That was the downside to my visit but the high-light was finding a flock of very recently fledged Goldcrests. They were incredibly hard to photograph, mainly because they were so tiny, but I managed to get two shots......


 
There were lots of fresh looking Comma butterflies out today....
 

 
and you can see below, how they got their name....
the white mark looks just like a 'comma'....
 
 
I also found a pair of mating Meadow Browns....
 

 
It's Skipper season now, and I found plenty in the Headland area....
The ones below are all Large Skippers and I think they're all male by the looks of the dark lines on their upper wings.....
 


 
I saw my first Black and Yellow Longhorn of the year...
 
 
and there were lots of Soldier beetles around....
 
 
Dock Bugs were numerous...


 
and this beauty was trying to shelter from a rain fall....
the stunning hoverfly Xanthogramma pedissequum.....
 

 
I found a caterpillar, but don't know yet what it is...
 
 
and there was a very pale male Common Blue damselfly by the stable blocks...

 
A very short visit but plenty to see.
Also seen but not photographed were two Hobbys, a male Kestrel, several calling Green Woodpeckers, two Great Spotted Woodpecker and a Nuthatch.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment