Thursday 17 November 2016

Back at my favourite place ever, Cranford Park

Seven weeks is a long time to be away from your favourite place, and as I walked through the underpass towards Cranford Park earlier today I caught myself smiling. I didn't realise how much I had missed the patch.
 
I wasn't just visiting to satisfy my own needs, I also had a present for Martyn, our resident homeless guy. It was his birthday on Monday but I was in north Wales. Angie looked out for him though and  made him a birthday cake. My gift of baccy, papers, tips and batteries was well received, and reminded me again how grateful Martyn always is for the smallest things.
 
I was just unpacking my rucksack and getting my camera ready, when an Orange ladybird dropped down from the leaves above. It's pretty amazing considering its mid November, but it's a sign that so far our weather has been fairly mild, apart from a couple of chilly days......
 


 
The Orange wasn't the only ladybird out and about today. I counted seven Harlequins including this one by the stone bridge...
 
 
As to be expected there was plenty of fungi fruiting.
After the excitement a couple of months ago of finding a Stinkhorn in the woods, today I was even more chuffed to find another one. It was along the same path way as the first one.
 
 
and attracting the only insect I saw all day.....

 
Other fungi seen today was this fine Jelly Ear specimen. Also known as Jew's Ear, it's quite hard to imagine this species is actually edible. I don't think I could ever eat something that looks like an ear !
 
 
In the usual place I found more Yellow Stagshorn.When I say the usual place, it's where there are a pile of old coniferous logs.

 
The one below is one of the most commonly seen in Cranford Woods, the Sulphur Tuft. Although it looks harmless, it's actually poisonous if eaten.....
 
 
The Dead Mans Fingers fungi below is so aptly named.....

 
There are two fungi species in my photo below. The black blob in the top left hand corner is a King Alfreds Cake, also known as Cramp Balls or Coal Fungus.
In the bottom right corner is the Candlesnuff fungus, also known as the Candlestick....

 
Everyone who regularly visits Cranford Park and Cranford Wood knows how magical the place can feel at times. Some of the regular visitors even believe there are ghosts and fairies.
Finding several well placed fairy doors only strengthens that theory.......
 

 
Elsewhere the falling of the autumnal leaves have exposed the masses of Mistletoe.....
 
 
and despite it being quite an overcast day, the autumn colours were glowing.....

 
A very enjoyable short visit back to my beloved patch.
I've missed you Cranford Park.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment