Friday 14 July 2017

WWT Caerlaverock 13th July

My last morning at WWT Caerlaverock and I waited 30 minutes for a Hare to show up in front of the kitchen window. When they didn't oblige I took a wander up to the Whooper Pond to see the Canada Goose and his/her Whooper Swan companion......
 
 
A family of Mute Swans are also sharing the pond, with the male frequently gently shooing away the goose and the Whooper whilst the female teaches her cygnets how to look for food.....

 
A Cormorant was also on the pond this morning.......

 
I took my cup of morning coffee down to the feeder station along the Peter Scott trail and sat on the bench watching the birds through the open slats......

juvenile Tree Sparrow
 and was rewarded with the juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker again coming down, but perching this time very nicely on the side of a tree.....
 

 
Sadly my cab turned up and my stay at the farmhouse was at an end. Again I wondered why I had only booked a three night stay, and already I'm planning on when I can next visit.
 
What an incredible experience staying on site is. I would 100% recommend it for any nature lover. The staff and volunteers are friendly and knowledgeable. The farmhouse is comfortable and clean. The reserve itself is full of hidden corners, great hides, and crammed full of wildlife.
 
Lastly I thought I would share my own entries in the Badger Diary that's kept in the conservatory.......

 
WWT Caerlaverock.......thank you for everything !

No comments:

Post a Comment