Tuesday 17 October 2017

Overdue visit to Maple Lodge NR

I woke up this morning and decided on a whim to visit Maple Lodge NR, a very overdue visit. This is my second favourite place to go, and you can see why if you have a look at their website (link here)
 
The light this morning was incredible. I spent over an hour in the Clubhouse Hide with a cup of coffee watching the comings and goings.....
 
One of the Kingfishers perched for a brief couple of minutes....
 


 
A pair of Shovellers looked almost luminous in the morning light....
 

 
The resident Robin sat perched on the same twig several times...

 
And there were the usual squabbles over the feeders.....
 

 
Even the common Grey Squirrel made a photogenic subject....
 
 
Sadly the fine weather didn't last and once the cloud came over, so the temperature dropped.
 
By the side of the Teal Hide there was an abandoned Coots' egg with a tiny beetle on it that I'm not going to even attempt to identify....

 
I saw three Red Kites and two Common Buzzards go over the hide, all within minutes of each other. Of course the cloudy sky did not help with my photo....

 
The Long Hedge Hide gave up lots of Black Headed gulls, many Shoveller, several Gadwall and Teal and two Little Grebes.....

 
Several times during my visit I encountered a Sparrowhawk. First of all it flushed out at least five Siskin and a few Goldfinch by Comma Corner. The next time I saw it was when I was chatting to Roger by the Owl Meadow and we watched it fly away over towards the farm. Then I saw another whilst trying to locate the calling Cettis Warbler by the Shell Hide. Lastly I was walking towards the Lynsters Hide and had just stepped over the bent tree, when I noticed feathers on the ground, looked up and there it was mantled over a freshly killed Wood Pigeon. Unfortunately it spotted me before I had a chance to lift my camera and took off. Knowing how these birds of prey often go back to their kill, I lingered in the hide for a few minutes before tip toeing out, but again the bird saw me before I saw it and flew off.
 
The light at the Lynsters Hide was really bad by this time, and all of the birds on the lake were just silhouettes. I lost count of the number of Coot and Canada Geese, but counted six Egyptian Geese, three juvenile Mute Swans, three Great Crested Grebes and a distant Little Egret.
 
 
Back at the Clubhouse on my way out I had another look out and spotted the cat that keeps showing up. Instead of going for any birds, this time he tried his luck with a squirrel but failed dismally. I know it's a 'he' as after he missed his prey he strutted around spaying every where. Somewhere nearby is one irresponsible owner, that not only doesn't put a collar and bell on the cat, but hasn't even had it neutered.

 
It was a great visit though. I love the privacy of this reserve and all that it has to offer. Hopefully next time the weather will stay finer and I'll be able to stay longer.....
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment: