Sunday 17 June 2018

Bullfinches and more from Cranford Park

Every birder I know has a 'bogey' bird - it might be one they have not yet seen or one they cannot get a photo of - mine is the dumpy and rotund Bullfinch
 
I have seen them before but I can count my sightings on one hand and I only have two very bad record photos - so you can imagine my shock and happiness at not only finding them at Cranford Park but also accidentally finding their nest site
 
I've been watching this pair now since 21st May and it looks as if they've already fledged their first brood and are now working on hatching a second brood as I've observed over the last three days that they have been adding more twiggy material to the nest
 
I havent actually seen the nest and I wouldnt dream of even thinking about poking around in the evergreen shrub - but I may take a peek in winter when I know they will have definitely finished raising their young
 
As I mentioned in my last blog post trying to photograph them is hard work - but today I struck lucky
 
I was at the park early as that seems to be when they are most active and by sitting completly still on the bench under the huge Yew the birds eventually came to me
 
First was the female who was picking at some leaves just 12' away
 



 
The male decided to fly behind me and so the majority of my photos were then taken with him in heavy shade and didnt come out quite as well



 
But he did eventually move into the light and I managed another poor photo but at least one that shows his glorious rosy chest

 
I will check the site again on my next days off work
 
The resident churchyard Robins have four new fledglings that were scattered over the back of the area - they were all very noisy and squeaking for food from the parents
 




 
Somewhere at the front of the churchyard there's a Blackbird nest and both adults were acively taking food in for their youngsters


 
I didnt see too many butterflies this morning - it was a little cool and windy for them - but one tatty Comma did settle briefly for a photo
 
 
There were plenty of Thick-legged Flower Beetles (Oedemera nobilis) around - only the males have the swollen thighs

 
and just like Friday there were lots of Yellow and Black Longhorn Beetles to be seen

 
I didnt see any Harlequin ladybirds today but did find my first 14-spot and Orange ladybirds of the season
 
14-spot ladybird

Orange ladybird

Orange ladybird
I also spotted some Red-legged Shieldbugs by the M4 wall - the only place at Cranford Park that I have ever seen them - these little critters are only found on certain trees like oak or alder or hazel though they can be found on apple and cherry trees as well
 
 
It wasnt a good day for hoverflies either but I managed the below - identifications are under the photos and have been confirmed by Chris Sellen
 
Syrphus species - cannot narrow down any further

Sphaerophoria species

Syrphus species - cannot narrow down any further

the common Marmalade Fly
I dont normally bother taking photos of the churchyards other permanant resident - the Grey Squirrel - but this one just posed nicely for me
 
 
Another succesful visit to the park but still no sign of our Little Owls yet - maybe next week I'll get lucky again
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment