Sunday 15 July 2018

It was all about the Six-spot Burnets at Rhyl today

I'm spending a couple of days with my family in Rhyl and usually I would spend an hour or so down the beach taking photos of any waders around the rock pools but today when I went for my walk the tide was in and there weren't any birds to see
 
But I wasn't disappointed as the warm weather and blue skies meant there were plenty of insects to observe and photograph
 
First up are the butterflies - ids under each one
 
Small Copper

Small Copper

Gatekeepers

Gatekeeper

Grayling

Grayling

Common Blue
Other critters included plenty of these Soldier Beetles
 
 
and as to expected in July plenty of Cinnabar moth caterpillars


 
 But the most prolific little critter seen today were the hundreds - and I mean hundreds - of Six-spot Burnet moths
 
Theses striking looking day flying moths are similar in appearance to the Cinnabar moths but Burnets have just spots on their wings where as Cinnabars have a red strip along with a few spots on their wings
 



 


 
There is also a species called Five-spot Burnet but sometimes the distinguishing spots can merge together which makes a true id near on impossible - it also doesn't help that some Six-spots have very faded almost yellow spots
 
From Splash Point in Rhyl walking along the Prom to Prestatyn Ffrith beach there is a chain link fence along the golf course - and all along that fence I found loads of Six-spot Burnet pupa cases
 
 
but as I looked closer I realised some were actually emerging





 
This is a first for me and I lost all track of time taking loads of photos of this incredible spectacle
 
One such pupa case was attracting a pair of moths who seemed intent on mating - I'm still not 100% sure if this was a male hanging around a newly emerged female or whether these two just happened to want to mate around an un-emerged pupa but either way it made for some fascinating observation
 

 


 
Not quite my usual blog from when I'm in Rhyl but a very different one focusing on something that the majority of people were walking past without realising
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment