Friday 24 May 2019

New beginnings at Cranford Park

The forecast this morning was good for my weekly UKBMS butterfly transect but the wind was a little chilly so not many butterflies were on the wing
 
During the 75 minute walk I counted only 12 butterflies of 5 species
 
Green-veined White x 1
Orange Tip x 1
Common Blue x 5 (first of the season)
Holly Blue x 1
Speckled Wood x 4
 
Common Blue - female
The wildlife pond in front of the Information Centre has attracted three species of odonata
 
 
Large Red Damselfly
 
Common Blue Damselfly

Broad-bodied Chaser
That's not bad for a wildlife pond that is now in its second year plus a recent survey showed there were Common Newts there too
 
Nearly every buttercup contained a male Thick-legged Flower Beetle - only the males have the wonderful thunder thighs
 
 
There are quite a few young fledglings in the park now - I saw young Robins - Blue Tits - Great Tits and this juvenile Goldfinch
 
 
But the high light of my visit was accidentally finding a Nuthatch nest
 
I was taking photos near one of the apple trees when an alarm call made me look up
 
Looking down at me was a Nuthatch - I don't often see these in the park so I took a couple of pics and felt quite chuffed
When the bird didn't move I realised it was me it was alarm calling at and after looking around carefully I found I was standing right next to the birds nest hole
 

 
There was a tiny nestling Nuthatch peering out at me

 
Moving well out of the way I then spent a fantastic hour watching the adults bringing food to the nest
 



 
This is the first time I have ever seen a Nuthatch feeding young so it really has made my day
 
It will be interesting to see how big they have got on my next visit
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment