Sunday 7 July 2019

Another great visit to Maple Lodge NR

I spent yesterday at Maple Lodge NR - one of my favourite places to visit when I want to get away from it all
 
It was a very overcast day with the sun only breaking through the clouds a few times
 
You'd have thought that meant there wasn't much to see - but there was plenty - the butterflies around Comma Corner were plentiful and many were obligingly still
 
The Gatekeepers and Ringlets were the most prolific
 
Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

male Gatekeeper with distinctive dark sex-brand
 
tatty male Ringlet

fresh male Ringlet

male Ringlet
 
Ringlet
Of course there were a couple of Commas at Comma Corner
 

 
and a far away pristine Small Tortoiseshell
 
 
and this Red Admiral perched at exactly the right height for me to photograph it's wonderfully marked underwings

 
A Painted Lady also settled for a minute but I wasn't quick enough to grab a photo
 
I also had four species of hoverfly at Comma Corner - ids under pictures
 
Syrphus sp

Sphaerophoria interrupta
 
Syrphus sp
 
Eristalis sp

Xanthogramma pedissequum
 
Xanthogramma pedissequum
In the clearing where Simon Buckingham sets his moth traps there were still two Poplar Hawk-moths hanging around
 


I also found a male Scorpion Fly with lunch
 

 
In front of the Long Hedge Hide there was female Emperor Dragonfly laying eggs
 

 
My camera was playing up a little bit yesterday and the photo of the Soldier Beetle below took ages to focus and take

 
Nice to see 7-spot Ladybirds were more abundant than Harlequins

 
And as to be expected at this time of year there were plenty of Dock Bugs

 
I finished my visit at the Clubhouse Hide where I played hide and seek with a Jay




 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment