Wednesday 13 May 2020

Foxcubs !!

I hope you're sitting comfortably because I'm about to hit with you an overload of very bad photos ! 

After seeing the Vixen in the back garden and the neighbours back garden a couple of days, and seeing the tell tale sign of 'saggy boobs' that indicated she was lactating, I have been on the look out for any fox cubs. 

Yesterday evening I popped my head out of the lockdown loftroom and immediately saw lots of movement in the top corner of the field...………..four little fox cubs running around and play fighting with the Vixen sitting and watching them. 

I had already decided to try out my old Big Bertha zoom camera lens (Sigma DG 150-500mm) despite not using it for a few years, and what better subject to practise on than four very active cubs ! As you can see from my photos below, I still need more practise, but you get the general idea of what I was watching. 

Be prepared for a cute, but fuzzy, overload......



















The grey 'thing' at the back is an old plastic bag which the cubs have been playing with. 

The Vixen seems quite experienced. One word from her and the cubs all disappeared for a short while whilst she watched something in the distance with her ears pricked forward. As soon as that distraction went, she must have made another noise as all the cubs emerged again at the same time. 

The 'den' where they are living looks to actually be in the field and to the left of the flattened area in the photos. The pale dog fox that I've also seen, seems to disappear off to the right when I've followed his movements. It will be interesting to see if they are a pair or not. 

Foxy facts
  •  mating occurs between December and February
  •  the vixen (female) is on heat for only three weeks
  •  the dog (male) often visits territories of other foxes nearby and mates with other vixens
  •  litters are of 4-5 cubs
  •  the cubs are born between March and April 
  •  cubs are born blind, their eyes open at 11-14 days old
  •  cubs are suckled for four weeks. After that the vixen will bring them solid food as well
  •  cubs start to emerge from the den when they are between one and two months old
  •  cubs indulge in a lot of play fighting that helps them develop the skills they need to hunt
I'm hoping to find a better vantage point for tonights viewing, and hopefully I'll have mastered the Big Bertha camera lens by then as well. 

Of course the male Muntjac with the bad leg was out last night too. As I've said in a previous blog post, the muntjac and the fox seem to get on okay, and neither are that bothered by the other. It would be lovely to see if there's any interaction between the cubs and the male muntjac. Hopefully I'll get to witness it if there is any. 




Watch this space......

Keep well and stay safe everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment