Saturday 8 April 2017

Ladybirds and hoverflies at Cranford Park today

It was a short visit to Cranford Park this morning, just two hours.
But the weather was fine and there was plenty to see.
 
The bee-flies were out in abundance. They were all Dark-edged ones, which are the most common. They are about a centimetre long and are often mistaken for bees....
 
 
It was a perfect day for hover-ating and a shame that I didn't have long to do it.
 
The photos below show just how differently marked hoverfly species can be....

Eupeodes luniger

Syrphus sp.
 and to show just how different hovers can be, the one below was tiny with hardly any markings at all. I'm waiting for confirmation of id, but I think it's one of the Chrysogaster family.....
 
amendment - this is a female Platycheirus albimanus (thanks for the id Roger Morris)
 

There were plenty of butterflies today. I didn't do my weekly UKBMS butterfly transect today as I didn't have time, but I will be doing it tomorrow. Temperatures are expected to hit as high as 23 degrees so I'm hoping for a good count.
 
However today I did find my first Holly Blues of the year. And once I'd seen one I spotted them everywhere....
 

 
I couldn't find any 7-spot ladybirds today, and only saw two Harlequins. But I did find this partially hidden 14-spot ladybird.....
 
 
and by the river there was one chestnut tree with over 20 Orange ladybirds hiding under the leaves.....



 
Around the Ice House Copse there are several very small oaks. Nearly every single one of them had oak galls on them. I think this is the marble oak gall.....
 
 
Also by the river a pair of Jays are building a nest in one of the evergreens. Normally I cannot get a photo of these noisy birds, but today both of them were happy to pose for me.....


 
The reason why I could only stay a couple of hours was because I was helping take part in a consultation day outside Tesco on the Bullsbridge park.
As part of the Heritage Lottery funding that Cranford Park has applied for we have to show how many people know about the park, how often they visit and what improvements they would like to see. The day was a great success according to the secretary, Bob Barton, with over 200 people questioned and surveys completed.
Another step nearer to submitting our full application.
 
Early night tonight for an early start at the park tomorrow - Lorraine Barton spotted a Little Owl in the usual oaks very early this morning. Great news for the park, and for me of course.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment