Monday 20 November 2017

A visit to Cranford Park

Yesterday (Sunday) I was at Cranford Park. I haven't been there for a long time due to various reasons. It was bitterly cold although by the time I arrived a lot of the frost had melted.
 
The autumnal colours are pretty incredible at this time of year.....
 



In a quiet area of the park there were some Rabbits out in the open...
 

 
I spent some time at the new wildlife pond. It is looking good with marsh marigold still in flower and the wildflower seeds germinating well....
 

The regular pond Robin wasn't the only wildlife at the pond, just as I approached from behind the Information Centre a Mistle Thrush was batheing on the edge but it flew off before I could get a photo. However the pond Robin was more interested in me and what I was doing. It got nearer and nearer to me, all the while cocking its head to one side contemplating if I was friend or foe, until eventually it sat on one of the posts just a metre away from me....
 


 



 
As it's coming in to winter I might start leaving some bird feed out for it, like I used to do for the two Robins at the wood circle.
 
Along the river itself there was no sign of any Kingfishers nor the Grey Wagtails. But there were plenty of Mallards, Moorhens and Coots and a nice surprise was seeing two Little Grebes. I only ever see them at the park in late autumn and winter. They are incredibly shy though and trying to get a photo is always challenging. Record shot below of both of them.....
 
 
It was a short visit to the park. Other birds seen but not photographed include Kestrel, two Common Buzzards, Red Kite, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, several Goldcrest, lots of mixed flocks of Blue, Great and Long-tailed Tits, a calling Nuthatch, at least five Mistle Thrush, two Song Thrush and lots of calling Blackbirds, Robins and Wrens.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment