Sunday 24 February 2013

Back to work with more Redwings and Fieldfares (and a very obliging horse called Star)

Back to work today. Weather was bitterly cold again, a couple of snow flurries in the morning, and no sign of the yellow orb. Took my camera with me anyway, you never know what you might find. After doing all my paperwork, and seeing off the remaining night drivers, I popped down the paddocks with some carrots and pears. Only four horses are there today. Pregnant Lizzy has been moved, I hope she comes back soon as I really wanted to capture her soon-to-be foal, on camera.
 
Fieldfares and Redwings were abundant again, though the Fieldfare count was down, the Redwing count was up. Goldfinches, Blackbirds, Starlings, Chaffinches and Dunnocks were also very busy feeding in the straw and mud, and bathing in the over-flowing water tanks.
 
The small pony, Star, was very attentive. I've found with Star and Nelson, that once you've given them a carrot and a cuddle, they follow you along the paddock fences. And they make a great place to hide behind to get closer to the birds. Nelson proved this last week, today was Stars turn. I ended up half under Stars neck today to get within 3 metres of Goldfinches bathing in the muddy puddles. Out of 50+ shots I eventually managed to get a few in focus, and the out of focus shots weren't down to my hands shaking from the cold or my camera mis-firing, it was down to Star occasionally nudging me in the ribs, trying to eat my work jacket, or nuzzling the back of my neck. Bless her.
 
Star. With her new pink winter jacket.
 
Goldfinch reflection
Redwing

Fieldfare
 
 
Goldfinch in puddy muddle

1 comment:

  1. Excellent photos Wendy. Who needs a One-man-pop-up-hide when you can use a Pony for the price of a couple of carrots!!!

    ReplyDelete